Our Digital Era In Context
Before we start, we have to put all the numbers in the right context. At the beginning of this year, total worldwide population was 7,7 billion people. Out of that amount, 4,2 billion are the internet users and 3,4 billion people are also active social media users. The usage of social media grew up 13 percent year-on-year.
From the other side, on average there are 5,54 social media accounts per person, and internet user has an average of 7,6 social media accounts.
When it comes to mobile devices, we have 5,1 billion of mobile phone users. Mobile phones are also more common to surf the web on. Specifically, 52 % of web traffic happens on mobile phones, while the desktop goes on 43 %.
How Is Social Media Marketing Doing?
Tricky question, right? All of us know, that social media marketing is a big deal nowadays, but what does it exactly mean we are not that much sure. So let’s have some numbers again.
Marketers believe in the power of social media, and their experience answers to it. 63 % of marketers found social media to be useful for building a loyal fanbase. Also, the budgeting went higher, from 2014-2016 it doubled twice on social media. Besides social media platforms, on WordPress alone, 74,7 million blog posts are published every month.
Quite surprising is fact, that people aged 55-64 are more than twice as likely to engage with branded content than those 28 or younger. Good to know is also this, that 96 % of the people that discuss brands online do not follow those accounts. So you don’t have to be worried about the number of followers or fans that much. Overall 47 % believe that social media is an effective channel for customer service.
Social Media By Specific Platforms
Facebook still dominates amongst social media, and not even the negative media hype against it from last year (remember Cambridge analytica affair and others) changed it.
Instagram is being lately the most mentioned platform and receives a lot of our marketer’s attention, but as you can see, by users it’s on the sixth place, having less than half of Facebook’s amount of active users.
- 35 minutes – that’s the time spent on Facebook a day by an average user.
- The competition here is pretty high – 60 million of active business pages.
- And 5 million active advertisers spend their money on Facebook.
- 6 new profiles are added every second. Click To Tweet
- According to Facebook, 53,1 % of social logins are made by consumers to sign into the apps and websites of publishers and brands.
- 15 minutes is the average time spent on Instagram by one user.
- 90 % of users are younger than 35.
- Instagram has more than 1 million advertisers since the option to advertise was opened. Click To Tweet
- The interaction rate is here higher than any other social media.
- Good to know is, that 60 % of users find out about new products on Instagram.
- Most of Twitter users are between 25-34 years old.
- And 43 % of all users have never posted a Tweet.
- 80 % of them uses it on a mobile phone.
- In total, 6 000 Tweets are shared every second. Click To Tweet
- 77 % of users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to.
- On average, one person watches 40 minutes of YouTube videos a day.
- More than half of the view is of a mobile phone.
- In the US, 9 % of small business use YouTube.
- 50 % of viewers use the platform to learn new things. Click To Tweet
- Also, YouTube reaches more adults aged 18-49 than any broadcast or cable TV network.
- In total, over 3 million companies have their LinkedIn account.
- 94 % of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to share content.
- The platform drives over half of social traffic to B2B blogs and sites. Click To Tweet
- Keep in mind, that profiles with professional headshots get 14 times more views than others.
- In average, the CEO has 930 connections here.
“A large social-media presence is important because it’s one of the last ways to conduct cost-effective marketing. Everything else involves buying eyeballs and ears. Social media enables a small business to earn eyeballs and ears.”Guy Kawakasi
Hi! I am a content specialist here in ZoomSphere interested in social media since my studies at university. Besides that, I love sport and food, ideally all in one big combo! 🍕🏃♀️📲