There is plenty to think about for social media marketers. Besides finding the right channels to use and coming up with content that pops, you need to make sure that you do the right things to engage audiences.
Sometimes you might get it right; others you may get things wrong. There is plenty of trial and error involved with marketing, so it’s natural to expect a few occasions where things don’t go as planned.
Yet, you want to make sure that you’re getting more right than you are wrong. Which is why we’ve come up with a definitive list of 75 social media marketing do’s and don’t for 2020. So read on, and get the lowdown on what should and shouldn’t be doing with your social media marketing.
The social media marketing do’s
1) Set clear goals and objectives for what you want to achieve.
2) Create a posting schedule so that you don’t get overwhelmed when you post social media content.
3) Spend time creating a well-thought-out profile.
4) Use engaging imagery that captures people’s attention.
5) Create a variety of long and short posts.
6) Have fun with your social media account, and show off your brand’s light-hearted side.
7) Find the right frequency so that your social media posts are consistent.
8) Engage in conversation with your followers. After all, it is social media.
9) Keep your branding consistent across platforms.
10) But that doesn’t mean you can’t mix things up with different photos styles, videos et cetera.
11) Share valuable, industry-relevant content.
12) Be active in relevant conversations in your industry.
13) Be more inclusive with your audience and implement user-generated content.
14) Gauge the room and be humble while showing empathy with your marketing, especially during Covid-19.
15) Be patient and understand that it takes time to build up a social media profile.
16) Use tools to implement social listening and monitoring across social media networks.
17) Think hard about your audience and write content for their tastes.
18) Analyze and track productivity with an analytics tool so that you understand your results.
19) Explore new social media platforms and how they can benefit your brand.
20) Explore the different data types available to measure your social media progress.
21) Use social media tools to enhance your overall output.
22) Think about what you want to achieve with each post.
23) Make good use of social media ad campaigns.
24) Invest in networking with social media marketing events.
25) Use keyword research to boost your content.
26) Have an idea about what your competition is doing on social media.
27) Explore ways to maximize your social media growth.
28) Aim to provide excellent customer service across your social media channels.
29) Separate your personal and branded social media pages.
30) Use video whenever possible, and try to have a presence on YouTube.
31) Explore creating landline pages for specific social media content.
32) Look at methods such as social media location marketing.
33) Have your own personality, and avoid following the crowd.
34) Remember that social media can be different from reality.
35) Pay attention to the seasons, winter, summer, spring, autumn, and seasonal holidays.
36) Take advantage of the different features on each social media network, like Stories on Instagram.
37) Ensure that you get the sizing right on your social media photos.
38) Always try and be highly visual when using platforms like Instagram and Snapchat.
39) Tag people and companies mentioned in your posts.
40) Do follow back
The social media marketing don’ts
1) Make spelling or grammar mistakes. Always proofread your content.
2) Be inconsistent with your posting.
3) Overpost content on social media and fill up people’s timelines with information that isn’t relevant.
4) Use too many hashtags when posting content.
5) Move away from your brand’s core messaging architecture.
6) Overshare passwords with other everyone who uses the account
7) Try and do too much by focusing on a variety of social media channels without a master one.
8) Neglect the power of working with social media influencers.
9) Ignore science-based strategies that could boost your engagement and increase follower counts.
10) Underestimate the importance of creating a community for your brand
11) Use clickbait to increase engagement.
12) Focus too much on the numbers. Instead, work on the quality of your content.
13) Overuse marketing automation and neglect the power of human interaction.
14) Think you’re beyond improvement. Take regular courses to keep up with the latest trends and tactics.
15) Expect too much from your followers. Let them interact naturally with your content and don’t force the issue.
16) Obsess over going viral.
17) Ignore specific ways that can help improve your outreach, such as social media testing.
18) Underestimate the power of engagement tactics like social media competitions.
19) Ignore questions, comments, and interactions from your followers
20) Be afraid to try new things on social media platforms.
21) Come across as needy.
22) Use all caps to create urgency in posts.
23) Share the same message repeatedly.
24) Ignore social media copyrights when posting imagery.
25) Engage with trolls or people explicitly trying to cause issues for your brand.
26) Forget to keep up to date with the latest industry trends
27) Ignore current networking events relevant to your industry.
28) Forget about aspects like “feature” and “discover” pages.
29) Provide false information in your social media posts.
30) Forget to be transparent with your audience.
Mastering social media marketing
There is no magic formula for acing social media. Winning is about playing the long game, creating engaging content, and interacting with your followers. Our do’s and don’ts are designed to help you succeed across all different social media platforms while building a brand following online. Achieve that, and you’ve accomplished the ultimate social media do.