It’s already more than a year since Facebook complicated life of many marketers by restricting the ability to customize the links. Editing the link previews of the shared article was one of the most favorite practice not only for publishers but as well for those, who enjoyed themselves in spreading misinformation and fake news. And that was exactly why Facebook decided to change the game.👇
“As part of our continuing efforts to stop the spread of misinformation and false news on our platform, we’re removing the ability for any Page to edit how a link appears on Facebook. By removing the ability to alter link metadata (i.e. headline, description, image) from all link sharing entry points on Facebook, we are eliminating a channel that has been abused to post false news.”
But there is a Way… 😎
And it is called Link Ownership. Thanks to this small feature publishers are still capable to manage their posts and adjust them for specific social media platform needs. And primarily make the most of their Facebook communication.
The “only thing” you have to do for having this option is to verify your page domain. In few steps you add your website domain to Facebook and verify it by two different methods:
- by adding a DNS TXT entry to your DNS record to confirm that you own the domain,
- or by uploading an HTML file provided by Facebook to your web directory and confirm ownership in Business Manager.
To add some more words from Facebook again: “Domain Verification provides a way for you to claim ownership of your domain in Business Manager. This ownership allows you to control editing privileges of your links and other content to prevent misuse of your domain and to keep bad actors from spreading misinformation.”
Domain Verification Step by Step 🐾
1. Go to your Business Manager and choose Business Settings in the upper right corner.
2. Now on the left side click on the Brand Safety and select Domains.
3. Choose the + Add button and enter your domain name.
⚡If you have more than one domain listed, select the one you want to confirm the ownership.
4. Then it’s time to choose the method you want to verify your domain – DNS Verification or HTML File Upload.
⚡The exact steps you need to perform to add a DNS TXT entry to your DNS record may vary by domain host.
- Navigate to the DNS record section of your domain host.
- Add the TXT entry to your DNS record.
- Add @ to the Host field (if it is required by your domain host).
- Once the changes have propagated across your domain’s web servers, click the Verify button at the bottom of the DNS Verification tab for the selected domain.
- Leave the TXT entry in your DNS record as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
HTML File Upload
⚡To complete this type of verification you need an admin access to your website’s root folder.
- Download the HTML verification file.
- Upload the file to the root directory of your website. You will be able to see that it is uploading at the link provided in the HTML File Upload tab.
- Once it is done, click the Verify button at the bottom of the HTML File Verification tab for the selected domain.
- Leave the HTML verification file in your website’s root directory as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
Final step: Connect Facebook Pages and Verified Domain together
Once you verify your domain it’s time to connect it to your Facebook Pages. How?
1. Back on the left side choose Domains and select the desired domain. In the Assigned Assets panel click on Pages and after that use the Assign Pages button.
2. After that, you should find here all your Pages added to Business Manager. Choose those you want to add to the domain and Save Changes.
3. If everything goes right, you see all added Pages listed under Assigned Assets for your selected domain 🎉🎉🎉
Do All the Work in ZoomSphere 💪 #EasyPeasyLemonSqueezy
To make all the work even easier and more effective, edit the link preview right in your social media tool. In new Publisher 2.0, you can! The moment you have your domain verified on Facebook you can choose a different image, title, or lead paragraph already during creating a new post. Are you asking how? 🤓
We want to make sure that your work on social media is the best possible. New Publisher 2.0 is going to help a lot! Did you read all the exciting news? No? Don’t lose any more time and check them all!
source: Facebook for developers
Hi! I am a content specialist here in ZoomSphere interested in social media since my studies at university. Besides that, I love sport and food, ideally all in one big combo! 🍕🏃♀️📲