Facebook recently announced that its messaging app is continuously growing and that more and more people are using messaging platforms. This trend is, of course, also recognized by businesses, so it makes sense that more brands are also looking to provide connection options through messaging platforms. However, there is a risk that messaging for business will go overboard with a private surface such as private messaging, and this can be interruptive. That is why Facebook has implemented tighter controls on how often brands can communicate via message, and keep in touch after that initial interaction.
Now, Facebook has provided some tips for businesses on how to better perform on Messenger.
- Respond quickly and set customer expectations on response times
When using an instant messaging service, such as Messanger, people expect companies to respond promptly and provide timely updates. Facebook states that a strong correlation has been found between responsiveness and successful business results. While you might think this is implied, it is essential to emphasize that timely communication is vital!
- Make it short and sweet
Facebook advises that you highlight your key points at the beginning of your message. That matches the expectations of people who use messaging as a channel of communication and increases readability. People generally use brand messaging for specific queries and want accurate answers. Keeping things focused and succinct will better provide what most are after.
- Leverage Messenger features to send high-value messages outside the24-hour standard messaging window
We note that one of the critical changes that Facebook has made in its messaging API is to limit the number of messages that companies can send beyond the initial contact period. Therefore, for successful communication with customers, you can also use some of the following messaging options outside the standard messaging window:
- Message tags – Use tags to send personal, up-to-date, and important non-promotional messages. Businesses can use tags to submit order updates, post-purchase updates, human-agent responses, etc.
- One-time Notification – allows a page to request a user to send one follow-up message after the 24-hour messaging window has ended. This can be used in cases such as stock return notices where a person has explicitly asked the company to send a notice. Make sure the message matches the topic that the user agreed to receive the Notification and that the message will be fully communicated from the first attempt. You may also want to ask people to communicate with your Notification to restart the standard messaging window.
- Sponsored messages – Use sponsored messages to broadcast promotional updates from clients you have communicated within Messenger. Sponsored messages support Facebook ad targeting and have built-in integrity controls to help Facebook safeguard the user experience in Messenger.
- Focus on customer value
A fundamental principle for businesses that use Messenger for business is: “Ensure that your messages clearly communicate customer value – especially notifications sent outside the standard messaging window.”
Messaging is a more personal area where people interact with family and friends, and as such, push alerts and notifications are included in most cases. With that said, you need to make sure that your messages are not intrusive or spam – or they will block you and lose your connection.
- Provide audiences with options to choose from
Consider giving your audience additional control over the type of content they will receive through Messenger. Allow the user to select specific tyes o alerts and notifications according to platform policies. This way, they will not only expect you to get in touch, but they will know exactly what you are communicating about, adding an extra level of context. This can reduce the potential spam factor and make your audience feel more comfortable interacting with your messages.
Facebook has posted these tips in the hope that it will help businesses ensure their messaging efforts are effective and deliver results while providing customers with a comfortable brand interaction experience.
Given that instant messaging platforms are increasingly important for marketing, these tips should definitely be considered when planning your customer communications.