Typical are the following mistakes:they monitor just what’s going on about their products;
- they monitor just what’s going on about their products;
- they monitor passively, typically in the morning, they let the agency send an overview of the previous day’s references;
- they do not join conversations – only read about themselves.
Unfortunately, it results in:
- the conversations being joined late or not at all, and therefore their result cannot be influenced in their favor;
- companies not being able to benefit from the weaknesses of their competition or from seasonal opportunities.
So let’s clarify it and say what the monitoring can be used for:
- monitor what’s hot about my product;
- what’s going on about my company;
- what’s going on about our management;
- business keywords;
- hashtags of business conferences;
- what’s hot about our competitors’ products;
- what’s hot about our competitors‘ management;
- typical hashtags of our competitors;
- trending hashtags in the cloud compiled from the last X mentions of our competitors;
- I recommend extra monitoring of visual materials (photo, video) on competition and field;
- let’s monitor what the field influencers write (about us/ about competition) ;
- let’s monitor what bloggers and journalists publish;
- let’s monitor what the official accounts of our competitors, including special care accounts publish;
- let’s monitor what our competitors’management write;
- let’s monitor what accounts included in the group of leads write from the perspective of the possible sale of our services or products;
- let’s monitor what the accounts of your existing customers are writing;
- let’s monitor our employees’ accounts;
- let’s monitor web references (articles including search term or keyword);
- we can also track the accounts of people who are interested in us (they are active either on our site or competition sites – good or bad);
- let’s monitor interesting public lists on Twitter.
Only then will you be able to say “I have a perfect overview of what is being discussed around us” and have a comprehensive view of the thing.